News March 18, 2009 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Shock at death of blogger in Tehran prison March 18, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information RSF_en Reporters Without Borders said today it was deeply shocked at the death in a Tehran prison of blogger Omidreza Mirsayafi and called for the immediate opening of an investigation into the circumstances of the tragedy.His lawyer, Mohamed Ali Dadkhah, was informed of the blogger’s death by a doctor, Hesem Firozi, who is himself imprisoned. The young blogger had been depressed and no longer able to cope with prison conditions. The doctor said, “The death of this young blogger is entirely due to a failure to provide assistance.” Omidreza Mirsayafi had been devastated at the prison authorities’ refusal to allow him permission to leave the prison. ”We hold the Iranian authorities entirely responsible for the death of Omidreza Mirsayafi. He was unfairly arrested and they failed to provide him with the necessary medical care”, the worldwide press freedom organisation said. “His death is a sad reminder of the fact that the Iranian regime is one of the harshest in the world for journalists and bloggers. We call for the setting up of an independent commission to determine this young man’s cause of death.”The blogger was summoned to Tehran’s revolutionary court for interrogation on 7 February 2009. At the end of the questioning, he was placed in detention. To this date, his lawyers have still not received any notice of sentence from the court.The blogger was first arrested on 22 April 2008 and then released after 41 days in custody on payment of bail of 100 million tomans (72,000 euros). He was tried on 2 November under Articles 500 and 514 of the criminal code under which “anyone who insults the Supreme Guide Khomeini, founder of the Islamic Republic of Iran, or the country’s leaders, is liable for six months to two years in prison (Art 514) and “anyone making propaganda against the state is liable to three months to one year in prison (Art. 500).Most of the articles on Mirsayafi’s blog were about traditional Persian music and about culture. After his conviction, he told Reporters Without Borders, “I am a cultural and not a political blogger. Of all the articles I have posted online, only two or three were satirical. I did not mean to insult anyone.” His blog, Rooznegaar, is no longer accessible.In a recent email to Reporters Without Borders, Mirsayafi spoke about his distress: “I am worried. The problem is not my sentence of two years in prison. But I am a sensitive person. I will not have the energy to live in prison. I want everything to be like it was before. I want to resume my normal life and continue my studies.” to go further IranMiddle East – North Africa Follow the news on Iran Organisation February 25, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 News News Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalists IranMiddle East – North Africa June 9, 2021 Find out more After Hengameh Shahidi’s pardon, RSF asks Supreme Leader to free all imprisoned journalists News
Tweet His Worship Cecil Joseph.Mayor of Roseau His Worship Cecil Joseph says he will be taking legal action against local businessman Peter Karam for defamation of character.Joseph said while he will not entertain the matter in the local media, he indicated to Dominica Vibes News that the matter will be placed in the hands of his lawyers who are currently out of state.The entire brawl stemmed from an incident that occurred last week Friday between the two individuals.According to Karam, “It was 3.00pm Friday afternoon the 27th, when I saw that a Mitsubishi bus had parked fourteen feet inside the boundary line; onto the private garage compound premises of the Acme Garage Karam Ltd. For years we have suffered from this phenomenon, whereby very small sections of the public sector have no respect for our garage operations. They either park arbitrarily in front the entry/exit compound of the garage operations thus bringing that section of the Garage to a standstill, locking the entry or exit of any vehicle which are already at the Workshop for Garage services. Our vehicles and our customers have to enter and exit the property for garage services. I therefore could take it no more and I blocked the said Mitsubishi Bus by parking a vehicle immediately behind the bus, thus locking it from exit. I wanted the owner to feel what exactly he had done to the garage operations. This was the most disrespect again at its highest. The bus was not a customer of ours,” he explained.Karam further indicated that upon his return that evening about 5.30 he exited his vehicle and “this individual whom I recognized as the mayor of Roseau Cecil Joseph approached me with such a rage and put his face a millimeter away from my nose shouting at me in an enraged maniacal manner with the most vulgar and threatening language, the most insultive language cursing my mother and myself in the most intimidating manner.”Peter Karam. Photo credit: FacebookHe further claims that, “Mr. Joseph cursed me from my mother to my generation, called me every imaginable insultive nasty expletives in my face, whilst his spittle flew all onto my face. Mr. Joseph was frothing spittle from his mouth. Mr. Joseph threatened to knock me out and he made four attempts to knock me out as his fist came millimeters from my jaw. He threatened to smash my vehicle shouting at the top of his voice with the most insultive nasty language I have ever heard in my life,” he added.Meanwhile Police Public Relations Officer Sergeant Kenth Mathew confirmed that a complaint was in fact filed by Mr. Karam.“We can confirm that Peter Karam made a complaint to the Roseau Police Station between 4-5pm on Friday. He made the complaint against the Mayor of Roseau His Worship Cecil Joseph. He reported him for making threats to kill him, assaulting and intimidating him outside of ACME Garage on Cork Street,” he said.Mathew said the police has responded but it is unclear whether the Mayor will be charged.Dominica Vibes News Sharing is caring! Share Share LocalNews Local businessman files complaint against Mayor of Roseau by: – January 30, 2012 Share 94 Views 9 comments
Mike D’Antoni saluted the “remarkable” James Harden after he inspired the Houston Rockets to a 119-108 victory over the Sacramento Kings with a 50-point triple-double.The reigning NBA MVP poured in 50 points, took 11 rebounds and laid on 10 assists in another strong display at the Toyota Center on Saturday. Harden now has five 50-point triple-doubles in his career. The Kings led by 10 points in the second quarter and held a slender advantage going into the last, but the Rockets earned a fourth win in five matches.”They made a run, which we knew they were going to have in them,” Harden said. “But I just tried to be aggressive, whether it was making an assist or getting to the basket or shooting my shot. That was it.” Rockets’ Chris Paul weighs in on MVP race between James Harden, Giannis Antetokounmpo 8-0 run to start the second half! pic.twitter.com/EyBgkfpVEM— Houston Rockets (@HoustonRockets) March 30, 2019″It’s remarkable what he does, and he does it every night,” D’Antoni said. “I keep thinking, ‘Gosh, can he do this every game?’ And then he does it for three years.” Related News Coach D’Antoni praised Harden’s astonishing consistency for the playoff-bound Rockets.
Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. There are no comments posted yet. Be the first one! Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Sumner Newscow report â€” A former Wellington High School student and youth wrestler, Aaron Asbury, 19 of Ponca City has been in a coma since New Years’ Day, and Ponca City Police are looking for help with an investigation.According to KAKE.com, police received a call on New Year’s Day at 9:42 a.m. from a resident in the 1300 block of S. 7th St. The anonymous caller told the officer a friend, Aaron Asbury, was at his home and was experiencing some medical issues.The ambulance crew transported Asbury to the Ponca City Medical Center.The teen had no identification on him and he remained as John Doe for more than 12 hours, according to KAKE.com.A nurse then recognized the 19-year-old as Aaron Asbury of Ark City.According to Ron Asbury, Aaron’s father, he was then contacted by police.“Police said they just could not believe that nobody stayed there with him,” Ron Asbury told KAKE.com.The son was transported to a Wichita hospital three days later and remains in a coma.He is in a hospital bed with kidney and liver failure, according to the KAKE.com report.The case remains under investigation.Ponca City Police are continuing their investigation. They cannot confirm or deny allegations of synthetic drugs since they are waiting for lab samples.If you have any information, call the Ponca City Police at 580-767-0370.If you have information about New Year’s Eve and early morning New Yearâ€™s Day happenings involving Asbury, you can submit an a tip online by clicking here. You can also call (580)762-5100. Your tips will remain anonymous and you may receive a reward of up to $1,000.