Medium density living is in demand on the Sunshine Coast as Stockland fast-tracks the release of its latest townhomes.BUYER demand has forced the release of designer townhomes ahead of schedule on the Sunshine Coast.Stockland development manager Matt Patullo said Stockland’s first medium-density venture on the Sunshine Coast was shaping up to be an outstanding success with townhomes in the first two releases already sold out.“Due to the strong demand and following the sellout of Lux and Aquiv, we’ve now launched Essen ahead of schedule and 50 per cent of the project has already sold,” Mr Patullo said.“When you consider that this is now one of the last opportunities to buy a brand new home in Brightwater, it’s no wonder we’re seeing so much enthusiasm for the Mainwaring Collection townhomes.” More from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home5 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor5 hours agoEssen in BrightwaterEssen’s is the third stage of Stockland’s Mainwaring Collection in its 1500 home masterplanned community at Brightwater.The townhomes start at $415,000 with two, three and four-bedroom homes on offer.Construction on Essen is on track, with the first residents expected to move in early in 2018. Mr Patullo said the project had appealed to first home buyers, as well as families and downsizers looking for an affordable, low-maintenance lifestyle with everything on their doorstep. “We are experiencing strong interest in the Essen release already, so I’d advise anyone looking to purchase a townhome in the Mainwaring Collection to register your interest now,” he said.Designed by nationally renowned architect John Mainwaring, the two-level townhomes have high ceilings, open plan living, quality inclusions and low-maintenance private courtyards.They also include a community swimming pool and alfresco area for residents.
The Major League Baseball season was supposed to open Sunday night with a celebration of the game. The most storied rivalry in sports history, a matchup between the Yankees and Red Sox, was scheduled to kick off the season. And the story was given even greater significance following last year’s post-season miracle by the Red Sox. But the story Sunday night wasn’t the game — which the Yankees dominated in the 9-2 decision — instead MLB was once again marred by the presence of steroids. In their first suspension stemming from the new performance-enhancing drug testing policy, MLB announced that Tampa Bay Devil Ray’s center fielder Alex Sanchez was the first player caught by the new policy. Accordingly, Sanchez will be suspended for the next 10 games. Of course, that’s assuming the slender center fielder’s appeal is not upheld. But just what effect does this initial incident have on Major League Baseball? And more importantly, is it bad for baseball?Obviously the incident proves that steroid use is not always as prominently noticeable as some may think. When people think of steroids they think of Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, Giambi and any number of other players of behemoth size. I’m not saying this is fair, but it is a widespread characterization. For example, just look at that the players subpoenaed by the House Government Reform Committee; Bonds, McGwire, Canseco, Giambi, Sosa — not exactly slender players by any stretch of the imagination. But this suspension wasn’t given to one of these enormous power hitters. No, it was given to Sanchez, a slim 5-foot-10, 180-pound center fielder with a penchant for stolen bases and bunt singles, not homeruns. In fact, in his four seasons with Milwaukee and Detroit, Sanchez has amassed a mind-blowing four homeruns. Four … Though, he did have a little extra pop last season, doubling his career mark by drilling two balls out of the park.It seems the public, including this writer, has been wrong with their perceptions of steroid use. These drugs aren’t just for bombers; they’re for pitchers, singles hitters, basestealers, the whole shebang. I dare any baseball fan to say they’ve never based their steroid speculation on a player’s size. No one can, well, at least not without lying.Had you asked me prior to the season to pick the first player to be busted by the new policy, Alex Sanchez would never have come to mind. I watched Sanchez play for two years as a Brewer, and not once did I ever believe he was on the juice. The truth is, he just didn’t look the part.Well, as we’re all much more aware of now, looks can be deceiving. What Sanchez’s bust has done is bring the entirely of MLB players under the microscope. No longer can we believe that monster men like Giambi and McGwire are the only ones on the juice. If it can be Sanchez, it can be anybody. Which brings me back to my second question, is this bust bad for the game? Hardly. It’s a general consensus that there is steroid use in MLB, no one can question that. Increasing the scope of players in question can only help the game. Sure, a cynic (read: The Badger Herald’s regular Wednesday sports columnist) could look at this as vindication that steroid use is indeed exceedingly widespread in the league. But the fact is we can’t prove that. Just because one small player is caught doesn’t mean that all smaller players are guilty. And conversely, it doesn’t free all power hitters from guilt.Sure, improved testing techniques will hinder the ability of some players to cheat — and hopefully Sanchez’ suspension will further drive the point home — but more importantly, it gives the public a bone to chew on. Had no player been busted until late in the year or not at all, a public outcry would have rang through the country, with fans condemning the system even more ferociously than they already do. The word I used earlier to describe the effect this situation had on baseball was “marred.” But that really isn’t the right choice of words. Marred implies that this event hurt the league’s image, but I really don’t think that’s true. For once the discussion of steroids and baseball has a positive connotation, as MLB made its first step toward cleaning up the game, and that’s definitely not “marring” the league’s image or the game.
JARLA BRANCHES OUT TO WISH DONEGAL THE BEST OF LUCK! was last modified: September 20th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:cartoondonegalJarla
Confirming what we already knew, last weekend’s Puerto Viejo Chocolate Festival proved that chocolate goes well with everything.Despite the cancellation of the main event due to health permit issues – the Health Ministry has not yet responded to The Tico Times’ requests for comment – cacao growers and chocolate makers from around the country still turned out to show off their finest creations. Festival attendees were able to get their fill without violating Health Ministry restrictions, and even if you couldn’t make it out to Puerto Viejo, you can sample the region’s chocolate delights. Here are some of the chocolate highlights that you can still catch year-round. Lindsay Fendt/The Tico TimesChocolate pairingsTaking chocolate tasting to a new level, the festival featured a chocolate pairing lounge. Chocolatiers from around the country gave attendees mini-seminars on pairing alcohol and chocolate, providing plenty of samples. Playa Cocles-based chocolate farm Xocolat paired their 70 percent cacao bar with a port wine, creating a taste similar to a liquidy chocolate jam. Caribeans, also based in Talamanca, paired their award-winning Black Beach Espresso Chocolate with aged rum, creating what owner Paul Johnson referred to as a “rum-based chocolate martini that you mix in your mouth.” The top pick came from Puerto Viejo restaurant Bread and Chocolate, which paired its orange truffle with sparkling white wine for a blast of citrus.Costa Rican chocolate craft beerThanks to the burst in popularity of craft beer bars throughout Costa Rica, you can pick up a chocolate brew from the festival throughout the year at bars or retailers. Despite their burst of chocolate flavor, many of the beers served at the chocolate festival did not actually contain any cacao. In the case of Perrovida’s Massive Mastiff, the flavor actually comes out during the roasting process of malted barley. Others, like BriBri Spring’s Big Choco actually uses local cacao in the beer. Puerto Viejo Restaurant Koki Beach served chocolate bean dip. Lindsay Fendt/The Tico TimesRestaurant dishesWhile most of the chocolate dishes on the menus at Puerto Viejo restaurants were only featured for the festival, at least one restaurant owner says he plans to keep chocolate on the menu. Andrew Bacon, the owner of Asian fusion restaurant Chile Rojo, says he plans to make regular menu items of grilled chicken with organic mole, tenderloin in a dark chocolate and wine sauce, and chocolate martinis made with homemade cacao nib vodka.“I feel like we have a whole chocolate movement here,” he said. “We should keep it going all year round.”See also: Costa Rica’s chocolate comeback Facebook Comments Related posts:Health Ministry shuts down Chocolate Festival Comedy homage, massive DJ party and other happenings around Costa Rica Transsexual aliens, Halloween parties, and other happenings around Costa Rica Puerto Viejo to host third annual chocolate festival