Australia on Thursday reported the biggest one-day rise in COVID-19 cases in more than a week, denting optimism that a stringent lockdown of its second-largest city will soon be lifted.Authorities said 127 cases of COVID-19 have been detected in the past 24 hours, up on the 109 cases recorded on Wednesday and the biggest one-day jump since Aug 28.The bulk of the cases were detected in Victoria state which reported 113 new cases in the past 24 hours, despite the state capital, Melbourne, nearing the end of a six-week lockdown. Queensland state accounted for the remaining two cases.Australia has now recorded more than 26,000 COVID-19 cases, while the death toll rose to 678 after a further 15 people in Victoria died.Although strict restrictions have helped to prevent the spread of the virus beyond Victoria, they have wreaked havoc on the economy, with official data on Wednesday showing Australia had entered its first recession in three decades. Topics : As result, state authorities said Australia’s second-largest city – home to 5 million people – may have to continue with restrictions beyond the planned Sept 13 end date.”I can’t rule out that we have to continue [with some] rules. I simply can’t,” state Premier Daniel Andrews told reporters in Melbourne.Victoria in August imposed a nightly curfew, tightened restrictions on people’s movement and ordered large parts of the local economy to close to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus.New South Wales, Australia’s most populous state, reported 12 cases, a day after it posted its biggest one-day spike in new infections for two weeks.
Hong Kong based billionaire Tony Fung was not expected to be impacted by the new rules. Picture: Marc McCormackMore from newsMould, age, not enough to stop 17 bidders fighting for this home2 hours agoBuyers ‘crazy’ not to take govt freebies, says 28-yr-old investor2 hours agoOfficially the real estate restriction was on deals worth more than $US1billion, but The Courier-Mail was told a wider net had already been cast, with Chinese nationals transferring cash here having to sign statements declaring the funds were not for real estate.Agents have reported a flurry of Chinese investors wanted to offload new developments at discounted rates — a boon for locals via reduced prices and less competition. Cash-strapped Chinese buyers who paid 10 per cent deposits on units were willing to back out of deals with as little as a third of their deposit in hand “because 3 per cent (of the 10) is better than nothing”.Brisbane was expected to bear the brunt of any Queensland fallout, especially in new developments. Realestate.com.au data showed the top 10 Queensland suburbs that attracted Chinese attention this year were Carindale, St Lucia, Indooroopilly, Hope Island, Calamvale, Sunnybank, Southport, Sunnybank Hills, Cairns and Eight Mile Plains. The Chinese Cabinet has begun a sting on offshore real estate deals and overseas casino funding. Picture: Stewart McLeanBRISBANE real estate deals are collapsing after a new Chinese Government sting on offshore investment.Millions sunk into real estate are at risk, according to experts, but Queensland may have avoided a multibillion-dollar hit from a related Chinese Government ban on casino investments.Property experts believe the situation has created a perfect storm for locals with deals aplenty as Chinese buyers topple on funding. Brisbane was expected to bear the brunt of any Queensland fallout, mostly because of unit deals. Picture: AAP Image/Marc RobertsonThis after China’s State Council documented restrictions on investments in real estate and banned any funding of new casinos over concerns that private firms were carrying too much debt.The $3 billion Queens Wharf casino – whose joint venture partner Chow Tai Fook Enterprises owns China’s biggest jewellery firm – and billionaire Tony Fung’s millions sunk into hotel and casino plans along the Queensland East Coast would both have been in the crosshairs, but their Hong Kong bases appear to have shielded them for now.A spokesman for Mr Fung – who’s in Hong Kong this week – said “to the best of our understanding the new regulations do not apply to Hong Kong, where Tony resides, so will not have any impact on Aquis’ Australian strategy”. Tourists Weihua Chen (23) and Dongwan Wang (22) on Surfers Paradise beach. Busloads of Chinese nationals previously flocked to Queensland on holiday/property trips. Picture by Scott FletcherJust last year, busloads of Chinese buyers were driven around Brisbane to look at potential investments but demand had dropped so sharply those trips have had to be culled, said Harcourts agent Conrad Leisemann.Yong Real Estate agent Tom Zhang, who deals with many Chinese buyers and sellers in Sunnybank, said the moves were a “double threat” for Chinese investors.“Firstly they made it hard to borrow money, so many people said ‘okay we will use cash’, and now the cash has been restricted,” he said. “The Sunnybank outer market has been greatly affected by those changes. It’s good timing for local buyers to buy before the rules are loosened again.” Place Projects director Lachlan Walker said the lending crackdown was heavily felt from late last year, but the new restrictions would pummel Sydney and Melbourne more than Brisbane.“Chinese buyers’ preference has always been Sydney and Melbourne, so it will impact those markets more than Queensland,” he said. “But Chinese investment in residential product gave us our volume. They did underwrite a lot of developments that occurred here and we can’t depend on them now.”REIQ CEO Antonia Mercorella said Queensland had to find an alternative to fill the gap left by Chinese investors.“Queensland needs investors in both residential and commercial property, so our strong hope is that if one investor group starts to contract another will be able to increase to fill the gap.“Queensland is a desirable investment destination and hopefully our strong value proposition will continue to attract local and international investors to our shores.”
Those surviving who will cherish Bill’s memory include his children; sons, William Brett Ison of Lawrenceburg, Billy Dean Ison of Morristown; daughters, Monica (Quiller) Baker of Fairfield, OH, and Jessica Ison of Richmond; parents, Dean and Carol Ison of Metamora; sister, Susan (Ken) Cox of Laurel; brothers, Kenny Ison of Brookville, Doug Ison of Metamora, and Jeff (Stephanie) Ison of Brookville; two grandchildren, Naomi Baker and Shea Baker, and several nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his paternal grandparents, Aris and Hazel Ison; maternal grandparents, Cecil and Rosella Wilson, and two sisters-in-law, Kim Ison and Sandy Ison. Friends may visit with the family on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 from 4 until 8 p.m. at Metamora Church of God. Tony Stidham of Alpine Holiness Church will officiate the funeral service on Wednesday at 11 a.m. at the church and burial will follow in Cupps Chapel Cemetery. William “Bill” Dean Ison, of Connersville, was born on March 15, 1963 in Batesville, the son of Wilburn Dean and Carol Sue Wilson Ison. He was a father to 4 children and attended Alpine Holiness Church. William enjoyed fixing up old cars and bowling. On Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at the age of 55, he passed away unexpectedly at his residence. Memorial donations can be directed to the family to help defray funeral costs. To sign the online guestbook or to leave a personal condolence, please visit www.cookrosenberger.com. The staff of Cook Rosenberger Funeral Home is honored to care for the family of William Ison.
The first President of Ghana, Dr Kwame Nkrumah was honoured with a Platinum award at the recently held 2014 Glo-CAF Awards in Lagos, recalling his unmatched contributions to the development of football in Ghana and the African continent during his lifetime. In a post-event statement issued by Globacom, sponsors of the annual football awards, Ghana’s first President was eulogised for his visionary steps in building the requisite human and institutional capacity which made Ghana a veritable football powerhouse on the continent within just a few years after its independence in 1957. Dr. Nkrumah held sports, especially football, in high esteem and successfully applied it as a potent tool for national identity and also for marketing his pan-African vision. In 1964, Osagyefo donated money to put up the Osagyefo Cup which was used to launch the African Clubs Championship, charging the then Confederation of African Football (CAF) to organize an enviable African version of the European Cup for club championship with that trophy. At home in Ghana, Dr. Nkrumah personally supervised the building of a formidable national team, the Black Stars, which won the Africa Cup of Nations in 1963 and 1965 and also founded the Ghana Academicals, which was an assembly of the best young talents in the country.Osagyefo Dr. Kwame Nkrumah, in habitual fashion, greets the Black Stars at the Accra Sports Stadium just before the start of an international game. “We are happy to be identified with this man of vision whose steps helped to produce a football super power in Ghana in so few years after the country became independent”, the statement said. “Dr. Nkrumah was an ardent sports enthusiast who promoted football as a sport in his country and on the African continent. As early as 1960, Ghana already had two world class football stadia in Accra and Kumasi and this was responsible in part, for the good showing of Ghana in football on the continent both at the club and national levels”. The statement said that Globacom draws inspiration from leaders like Nkrumah, who was a shining star across many fronts, including his efforts in uniting Africa through the formation of the Organisation of African Unity (OAU). “It is the aggregation of his contributions to humanity that make him a leader to remember and a leader to honour and we are happy that the Confederation of African Football (CAF) noticed this and presented the award,” the statement added. Dr. Nkrumah’s posthumous Platinum Award was received on his behalf by the President of the Ghana Football Association, Kwesi Nyantakyi at Eko Hotel Convention Centre, Lagos, Nigeria.