After four decades and 1,926 Caymanas Park victories, trainer Wayne DaCosta became the record champion trainer at Caymanas Park after topping the field for the 15th time with 67 wins in 2015. DaCosta also surpassed legendary trainer and former record holder Phillip Feanny, who has 14 titles. His achievement, surpassing one of the all-time greats of regional training, has given DaCosta great satisfaction, but to him, winning the title in 2015 was no great surprise. “I was confident (coming into the year). I had a full stable of horses, so I didn’t see why the results would have been any different from last year (2014),” he told The Gleaner. “He (Feanny) is still one of the great trainers of Caymanas Park, so it’s definitely a honour to surpass his record. It (15th championship) was indeed satisfying, it’s a great feeling to be number one. I don’t know how long it will last, but I am on the top now, and it is really a good feeling getting the 15th win,” he stated. DaCosta, who is second on the all-time list of winners saddled at the Park, says his love and passion for racing is the secret to his success and he has no plans to take a break anytime soon. “I can continue [training horses] until I die. I am doing something that I like, and from 1976 when I got my licence, I have always liked it. I see no reason why I should stop. “However, you never can tell (how long it will continue) because the sport can change in the turn of a dime. But now everything looks good and I have some good horses in the top class and some nice three-year-olds coming next year, so it could be the same old, same old you never can tell. “I want to thank all of my owners who have stayed with me over the years and my groom, Linval McFarlane, who has been with me for more than 30 years as an assistant trainer. racing has good times and bad times, and you will never know when your bad time is going to come. But I have some nice horses. I hope they keep sound and make it a memorable year again,” he stated. DaCosta trained the top three horses in stakes last year – Derby and Diamond Mile winner SEEKING MY DREAM ($13.58 million), ALI BABA ($5.37m), PERFECT NEIGHBOUR ($5.08m). He was also the leading trainer for two-year-olds, earning $9.06m. Supreme Ventures Jamaica Two-year-old Stakes winner FUTURE KING was the leading earner in this category with $3.66m.
0Shares0000Willian looked delighted as he helped Chelsea confirm their place in the knockout stages of this season’s Champions League. Photo/Daily MailBAKU, Azerbaijan, Nov 22 – Chelsea powered into the Champions League last 16 as Eden Hazard and Willian inspired a 4-0 thrashing of 10-man Qarabag on Wednesday.Antonio Conte’s side reached the knockout stages with a game to spare thanks to influential displays from Hazard and Willian at the Olympic Stadium that knocked Azerbaijanis Qarabag out of the competition. Chelsea will go into their last Group C fixture against Atletico Madrid, who take on Roma at the Wanda Metropolitano later on Wednesday, on 10 points and still in with a chance of finishing top.Hazard scored Chelsea’s first-half opener from the penalty spot after his pass to Willian provoked a foul on the Brazilian from Rashad Sadygov, who was sent off as a result.Willian doubled Chelsea’s lead nine minutes before the interval, collecting Hazard’s deft back-heeled pass before rolling home.Cesc Fabregas netted Chelsea’s third from the spot in the 73rd minute after another foul on Willian, and the Brazil international crashed home his second in the closing moments.The English champions were heavily criticised after a woeful loss at Roma in their previous Champions League match, but have now won three in a row in all competitions.“We did everything well. We should have scored more. It is easy to play with these good players,” Hazard said.“We have a big game at Liverpool on Saturday so it was good to have a small rest. We are ready for Saturday.”Conte had bemoaned the fixture schedule that sends Chelsea to Liverpool for a crucial Premier League game on Saturday, just 48 hours after they return to London from the 5,000 mile (8,000 kilometres) round trip to Azerbaijan.But he still fielded a strong side, with David Luiz starting in defence for the first time since being dropped after a reported training ground row with the Blues boss following the Roma defeat.– Michel rattles woodwork –Conte’s side had thrashed Qarabag 6-0 in September, but they almost fell behind early on in Baku when Maksim Medvedev was allowed to advance into the area with little resistance.Michel picked up possession and lashed a fierce shot against a post before the rebound was blazed over.Hazard was nominally Chelsea’s central striker but the Belgian playmaker had freedom to roam and it was from a deeper position that he triggered his side’s 21st-minute opener.Threading a pin-point pass behind the Qarabag defence, Hazard sent Willian clear on goal and the Brazil winger tumbled into the area after Sadygov grabbed at his arm.Referee Manuel de Sousa saw enough contact to give Chelsea the penalty and sent off Sadygov.Qarabag were furious but Hazard ignored their complaints to stroke home the spot-kick for his sixth goal in his last seven appearances.He followed the opener with an extravagant touch to help double Chelsea’s lead in the 36th minute.Pedro started the swaggering move with a flick into the path of Willian, who guided the ball to Hazard.The Belgian baffled the Qarabag defence with a sublime back-heeled pass into Willian and he made no mistake with a clinical finish.Conte’s team struck for a third time in the 73rd minute when Gara Garayev conceded a penalty with a tug on Willian.Fabregas’s initial spot-kick was ruled out for encroachment, but the Spaniard was unflustered as he slotted home again.Chelsea weren’t done and Willian capped the rout with a stinging strike from the edge of the area in the 85th minute.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2Sheriff’s Detective Pat O’Neill of the station’s Career Offender Burglary Robbery Apprehension team said investigators were able to identify the men by their “creek boys” signatures. “Our school deputy, Mike Deegan, was able to use the school’s database and narrow the search to students who lived on Cherry Creek Drive and Sycamore Creek Drive,” O’Neill said. “They were charged with felony vandalism and the judge was so upset about the damage they caused, he remanded them into custody right there in court and made restitution part of their sentence.” The Department of Public Works received the largest portion of the money, $10,750. Six thousand dollars went to the DWP, which owns the pipeline. Valerie J. Hill, graffiti abatement program manager for the county, said the payment would go toward anti-graffiti programs focused in the area. “We already have one working in Val Verde and other parts of the county,” she said, noting that this award was the largest restitution check ever received by the county for this reason. VALENCIA – Parents of two taggers arrested for vandalism that started at Saugus High School and spread to a nearby pipeline and College of the Canyons learned an expensive lesson Wednesday as more than $20,000 restitution was distributed to victims. Representatives from Saugus High School, the Los Angeles County Public Works Department, the Department of Water and Power, Southern California Edison and the college gathered at the Santa Clarita sheriff’s station to receive checks from the families of David Celaya and Andrew Wroblewski who are serving yearlong sentences in the county jail. The two initially were arrested March 8 and released, but then rearrested and given high bail by Judge Lloyd Nash at an April 7 hearing. They were sentenced May 12 to a year in jail and ordered to immediately pay their victims restitution. Smaller checks went to Southern California Edison, which received $400 and College of the Canyons, which was awarded $300. Saugus High Assistant Principal Frank Ferry accepted a check for $1,250 for the school and $2,000 for contractor C.W. Driver, which suffered damage to its trailers and equipment located on campus. “I personally feel good picking up these checks,” said Ferry, handling the situation with humor. O’Neill said when the suspects were arrested, deputies found photographs of the boys next to the pipeline after their “work” had been completed. “In every house we go into, there’s a book where they practice their tags or their friends sign them with their tags,” he said. “Hopefully this will alert parents to their responsibilities if their kids go wrong. It’s their house and their kids can jeopardize that.” Ferry said taggers can be found in households across-the-board. “Everybody wants to believe it’s somebody else, but these were affluent kids that had no business doing this,” he said. “These weren’t gangbangers; both their parents are educators. This just proves that it can be any kid any time. Parents have got to be aware of their kids’ activities, simple as that.” email@example.com (661)257-5252160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!